Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Snowman

Hello friends!
I want to tell you about a very special tradition in our Family.
Every year, the very first time it snows at the beginning of winter, we stop whatever we're doing and take time to enjoy the occasion. Today, the 11th of November, we saw the first snow of winter! Hooray! There is something so very magical about the first snow. Especially with children. Amongst many shouts of pure excitement and complete ecstasy, my nephews bolted for the door to catch the first snowflakes on their tongues. It was all I could do to keep them from going out in their t-shirts and bare feet. Myself and my precious niece, who I held in my arms all wrapped up in a fuzzy blanket, walked out on the porch and watched the snow fall down with excitement. We did venture one little frolic under the falling snowflakes. Then we stoked up the fire and put the kettle on for tea and snuggled down to watch
The Snowman. We have watched it every year on the day of the first snow for as long as I can remember. And usually two or three more times during Winter. It is so magical!

It is a film inspired by the book by Raymond Briggs. It is animated and has no words except for one song in the middle called "Walking in the Air". It is such a lovely song. The wonderful music in it is by Howard Blake.
This is one of my Happy Thoughts! If you have the video I suggest you make some tea and toast and snuggle up by the fire and watch it with your family. If you don't, try to rent it or if you must, you can watch it here... just make sure you have a warm blanket or some hot cocoa or a cuddly niece or nephew near by. =]
I have to tell you though... this story almost always makes me cry. So don't say I didn't warn you. ;}

Here is the video (in three parts) with the original introduction (which is the best thing)! =]
[Don't forget to pause the music on the sidebar!]




And here is the song so you can listen to it uninterrupted.

I hope you have a lovely and snowy day!
xo
~Marguerite

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy is tagged ;)