Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hello friends!

Yes, I am finally posting about Hobbit Day! One of my most favoritest days of the year! The 22nd of September, being the birthday of both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, is Hobbit Day and has been since the 1970's. However, I did not know about it until last year. This year, a week before Hobbit Day, I remembered it and then, inevitably, I forgot until I saw this lovely and yummy looking post by Proverbs 31 Maiden. << (Thank you for reminding me!) Then I decided 'SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!'. So I made sure everyone in the house knew what day it was and that we must all make merry or else! =] It was then that I realized.. we had been celebrating Hobbit day all day!
We worked in the garden, my Mother got the peaches all washed and ready for canning, we had afternoon tea... -- in fact I'm pretty sure I had ALL of the hobbit meals that day. I thought it strange that I should be more than usually hungry on that particular day... I suppose my stomach knew that it was Hobbit Day before the rest of me did.
My sister Aimee proceeded to drag my slow self out of the house to the garden to pick flowers and herbs for making wreaths. Which we did, much to the rest of our family's amusement. My sweet Mother was already making dinner, and I thought 'Too bad I didn't think of it before.. We could've had a Hobbit meal!' When what to my eyes delight did I see?
Chicken, frying in a cast iron skillet, pasta cooking in a pot and the yummiest smelling squash soup made from squash we grew in our garden,Zucchini and herbs from the garden being sauteed (before the tomatoes got put in),
"Oh that's nice! Ashes on my tomatoes!" -Peregrin Took and... Mushrooms (of all things!) chopped up, ready to be put in with the chicken... I think my Mother is secretly a hobbit. *nods and looks very certain whilst contemplating*
(you must read the quote about mushrooms on the side bar. It's one of my very favorites!) =]

Then of course we could not let the day pass without dressing up, so we put on our hodge-podge, make shift Hobbit costumes.

Aimee's wreath had green beans from the garden on it. And yes, they were very tasty!
I had to read the passage about mushrooms to the rest of the 'hobbits' at the table because you cannot celebrate Hobbit Day AND eat mushrooms without hearing it.


"This, my friend, is a pint." -Merriadoc Brandybuck

Hobbit's really are very quaint little people. =]
But they have big hearts and can be very brave.

I should like to be a hobbit and live in a hole in the ground...

After dinner, while doing the dishes, we drank Apple Cider and sang all the drinking songs we knew. hee hee!

Then we danced around the living room till our heads began to spin, and laughed till our sides ached.

‘I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.’ This was unexpected and rather difficult. There was some scattered clapping, but most of them were trying to work it out and see if it came to a compliment.” ~Bilbo, in his speech on his eleventy-first birthday (tFotR, p. 31)"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." ~Lady Galadriel


I hope you've enjoyed celebrating Hobbit Day with us! Leave a comment and tell us how you celebrated Hobbit Day! I don't know about you, but I am certainly not waiting a whole year to have another Hobbit Day. =]
May your fire be bright, your mug over flowing and your larder ever bountiful,
Marguerite

2 comments:

Anna Kristine said...

I want to have a hobbit day! Or even just watch Lord of the Rings. :) Oh...what fun. I love the picture of you eating Aimee's green bean. hee hee so funny!

hi said...

What great fun! I will definitely have to remember that for next year... :)